How to prepare for hurricane season
The National Weather Service recommends the following home preparation tips:
- Know the elevation of your home if you're in a flood or evacuation zone.
- Check mobile home tie-downs for rust & breakage.
- Mobile home residents should evacuate when told.
- Trim trees & shrubbery
- replace broken fencing.
- Inspect the roof for loose shingles.
- Consider replacing old shingles with new ones rated for hurricane winds.
- Clear clogged rain gutters.
- Reinforce garage doors or replace with a hurricane-tested door.
- Reinforce double entry doors with heavy duty foot and head bolts
- Install hurricane shutters, if possible, and inspect existing shutters
- Store lawn furniture and other loose, lightweight objects.
- If evacuating from home, turn off propane tanks, unplug small appliances, empty refrigerator and freezer, turn off utilities if told, lock home and take pets with you.
- If staying home, close storm shutters, notify family members of plans, lower swimming pool water level by 1 foot, turn refrigerator and freezer to coldest setting and only open, if necessary.
- stay in a safe room such as a closet, bathroom or hallway.
When you are dealing with storm, flood, and water damage, immediate action is crucial. You should choose the company with storm damage experience and expertise that has the resources and equipment to handle the job.
SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island can respond immediately to storm and flooding conditions.