The Do's & Don'ts Of Mold Removal
Call SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island for any mold issues you may have!
Even if you're a clean person, that doesn't guarantee that you won't have mold issues. Unfortunately, mold, just like bed bugs, DON'T care about your level of cleanliness. Regardless, mold will grow anywhere whenever there has been a water loss issue at your home that wasn't professionally removed. Anyone can have a mold problem in there home or business at anytime. SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island have compiled a handy list of some do's and don'ts you should follow when it comes to mold removal:
Examine your home or business regularly. Most types of mold share some obvious warning signs. For example, a musty smell in a damp basement usually means there's mold around. Black, gray, brown, or even white clusters of mold on walls, carpeting or flooring are easy to spot with the naked eye. Be observant about your home and check it regularly for mold.
Call a professional. A professional can determine which type of mold you might have, where it originates from, and how to safely perform mold removal.
Try the Do it yourself approach. Because some molds are toxic to pets and humans, it's not safe to tackle this problem on your own. The money you think you might save by Doing it yourself isn't worth your health. Mold carries so much health risks.
Wait. Mold can grow quickly and can be dangerous. if you suspect a problem, call it in ASAP!
Make the mold feel welcome. Mold likes the darkness and warm moisture. Fix the leaks, install dehumidifiers and don't ignore the warning signs of more mold growth.
SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Islands Important Advice For Mold Remediation
Mold remediation services available.
Mold is a very serious thing that can lead to many problems like health issues, respiratory issues and even safety issues. In fact, it's sometimes deadly. Its a situation that should never be ignored and be removed right away. When you observe your first sign of mold, Call SERVPRO as soon as possible, NEVER try and handle the mold situation yourself! Being exposed to the mold will pass on some dangerous health problems. Also, we warn you that you should NEVER touch anything electrical when water is where it doesn't belong. While this might seem obvious, you'd be surprised at the number of people who have a flooded basement and casually wade through the water in order to turn off appliances or light switches on or off. Just a few inches of water can saturate electrical outlets near a floor. In fact, you should not be there in the first place. We remind you once again, it is very dangerous! Don't let mold remain in your home for too long. This leads to the mold to spread rapidly throughout your home or business. Mold cannot grow without moisture, Therefore, its always good to have a dehumidifier to remove dampness from the air and reduce the threat of mold.
Use your senses if you suspect your house or business has mold. If you smell mustiness, its very likely mold is present. If something looks suspicious, Don't hesitate to have it checked out by SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island. Better safe than sorry.!
The Dangers Of Standing Flood Water From A Storm
Contact Us today for any storm/water damage.
Storms cause much destruction, and devastation every year. Some of the biggest dangers caused by storms occur right after the storm has already passed. Standing flood water that was caused by storms can cause serious health risks. Here are some of the most severe problems floods can bring.
Standing flood water is filled with health risks. They are teeming with diseases. Bacterial infections, and diseases become a greater possibility because flood water can infect anything it touches. This includes anything from clothing to toys that children play with. Its important not to drink or eat anything that has been contaminated by standing flood water, and always wash your hands as often as possible, especially before meals. Open wounds pose a far more greater risk of becoming infected. If possible, keep opened wounds out of the water or cover with waterproof bandages.
Disease isn't the only invisible hazard that exist within standing water. Murky water can conceal dangerous insects or even threatening animals beneath the surface. Much of this depends on the location of the storm. Standing water may also contain physical damage caused by the storm such as broken glass or sharp metal which might be impossible to see before it causes injury. On top of that, storms frequently cause damage to power lines. This can lead to a risk of electrocution in standing water. Flood water itself poses the possibility of causing drowning, whether people are in their cars or trying to swim across.
If you need storm damage repair of water damage clean-up, Contact SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island today!
SERVPRO of East Brownsville & SPI Storm Damage Restoration Process
Damage caused by a storm.
Violent weather such as storm damage can wreak havoc on buildings and houses as well. The wind that comes with any type of storm can be a hazard to the structures of building or homes, by loosening the shingles or tiles on the roof. This can cause moisture such as rain and snow to infiltrate into the protective surface of the roof, which will result in the wood swelling and later on disintegration and becoming moldy. This outcome will lead to a sagging ceiling and further problems. Elements such as wind, rain, hail, and lightning can result in turning people’s lives upside down. this is why you should always count on the hero's at SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island. We specialize in storm restoration and clean-ups as well.
Today we would like to educate you on some of the activities we do when it comes to storm restoration.
- Whether it is a business or residence, SERVPRO will come to your property and our trained experts will do a thorough examination of the interior and exterior of your building. This will help them discover the level of the damage. In many cases, the restoration company will discuss the renovation plans with you and your insurance adjuster.
- When everything is agreed upon, the work begins. Depending on what type of damage is present, this will determine the type of equipment the professional will use. In the case of flooding, they will use specialized pumps and vacuums to remove water from the affected areas.
- Generators will be brought in to operate their dehumidifiers and air movers so mold and mildew do not have a change to make matters worse. Using customized cleaners, the specialist will then disinfect hard surfaces and shampoo salvageable carpets as well as apply deodorant to combat any odors.
- SERVPRO will be able to rescue your building from greater structural issues, by inspecting the roof and replacing the dilapidated areas. After sealing and renovating the roof, they will then address the ceiling and restore to its former condition.
SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island has seen everything from BAD to WORSE, but that doesn't stop us from getting the job done right. Leave it to the professionals!
Commercial Cleaning Services: Questions To Ask Proffessionals
SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island commercial cleaning services.
Office appearance is always an important part of a company’s image, and so is asking questions. A clean and well-lit work space and reception area can make a lasting favorable impression on employees and customers alike. If you are considering hiring commercial cleaning services to improve the appearance of your office, here are five questions to ask potential providers.
1. Do You Get Ride Of Germs In Addition To Surface Cleaning?
Germs quickly pass from person to person and decrease productivity while increasing employee absenteeism. A commercial cleaning service should be professionally equipped to handle limiting the spread of germs, and keeping your office healthy as well as clean.
2. What Hours Do You Work?
Many cleaning services work off-peak hours to accommodate their clients needs and wants. Nighttime cleaning when the office is empty, it limits the disruptions caused by a cleaning service passing through a work area. However, if your company has odd hours, you might want to discuss this ahead of time with any potential commercial cleaning services and ask if its possible to tailor a work schedule to meet your company's schedule.
3. Do You Use Environmentally Friendly Products?
Consumer's have raised concerns about the excessive use of harsh chemicals used for cleaning. Advanced equipment and modern cleaning products have been designed to thoroughly clean an office using environmentally friendly cleaning techniques. If the use of Environment friendly cleaners is a priority for you, ask your potential commercial cleaning services about their products and their preferred methods to ensure they share your concern for the environment.
4. What Are Your Contract Terms?
As any business arrangement, They usually make you sign a contract or agreement of services if you require ongoing cleaning services. Review the contract for cancellation terms in the event that you are not fully satisfied. Also, be sure to ask for references and check online reviews prior to signing an agreement. At a minimum, the contract should include a description of services to be rendered, the agreed payment terms, and require the cleaning service provider to maintain proper insurance.
5. Do Your Employees Undergo Training?
The quality of employee training makes a difference in terms of quality of work and reliability. Ask commercial cleaners about their training regimens and what specialized cleaning equipment employees will use on the job. Before granting a cleaning service unsupervised access to your facility, you may also wish to inquire about the employment background check process and employee turnover.
Hiring a professional commercial cleaning company is one way to keep your business looking neat and polished. Whether you are looking for a one-time or seasonal cleaning, or if you need services on a recurring basis, SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island can make a significant difference in the overall appearance of your company facilities.
Water Damage: What To Do After A Flash Flood.
Pipe leaks in home cause serious damage.
In an instant, Mother nature's rains can inflict total destruction. This could result in a cracked water pipe that is constantly flooding out your home. Water damage in your living space is very serious. Your first step should always be to find the water source and try to stop it. SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island would like to provide you a few quick fixes that you can do to try while you wait for the items to be repaired.
1. Pump Out The Water
The first thing you’ll want to do if you have standing water from flood damage is get rid of it. Pumping out the water with a sump pump will help drain most of the water. Once the water’s drained, you can start analyzing the damage, and once the water levels are down, call the Fire And Water Clean-up & Restoration team at SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island.
2. Restoring Flooring
If your hardwood flooring, tile or carpeting had a lot of standing water on it, it’s important to determine if you can repair it or if you need to replace it. Before you decide to rip the carpet out, call the pros at SERVPRO. we will be able to save your wet, soiled carpeting with our powerful extraction process. Even Hardwood flooring can be salvaged by extracting water and then immediately applying cleaning solution. From there, the wood fibers or carpeting are saturated, sanitized and water is removed. The result is a clean, bacteria-free floor or carpet that is safe to use again.
3. Try To Remove As Much Furniture As Possible
Once the water has stopped flowing in your Suwanee home, the first thing you should do is find your electrical breaker and shut the box off. This will allow you to safely go in and shut off all water valves if necessary. You’ll be able to assess the water damage in your home. Try to move wood furniture to a safe and dry location.
4. Get The Air Circulating
With small amounts of standing water and wet flooring remaining, you’ll want to get the air flowing. This is because damp spaces are a breeding ground for mold, mildew, germs and bacteria.
5. Waterproof Your Home
Once the leaks have subsided and your items have been restored, it’s time to consider waterproofing your home. A temporary fix would be to seal off any holes or spaces where water can easily enter. This may include a broken downspout, a missing roof shingle or missing flashing around your roof. From there, you may want to consider have your basement as well as the exterior base of your home waterproofed to prevent water from pooling.
floods can cause very serious damage to your home. Call the water damage experts at SERVPRO OF East Brownsville and South Padre Island right away! We will assist you with fast clean-up and flood recovery!
3 Types Of Fires & Effective Cleaning Techniques
Before and After pictures of a home that had been affected by fire damage.
Many people aren't aware that there is more than just one type of fire and that there are different cleaning techniques depending on what type of fire occurred. The most prevalent types of fires are: high-oxygen fires, which produce dry soot; low oxygen fires, which produce greasy, wet soot, and lastly, kitchen fires. Here's a closer look at how to clean each type of fire:
- High oxygen fire: Dry sponges are a MUST when it comes to this type of fire. Follow this by applying a low-alkali detergent and then rinse thoroughly.
- Low oxygen fire: Use high-alkali detergents along with warm water to wash the walls and structures. Rinse, then paint over.
- Kitchen fire: These are often the most challenging fires to clean, as soot residue is difficult to detect. For this reason, cabinets, drawers, and other appliances often need to be removed to adequately clean area.
General Cleaning Techniques
Smoke and soot can often penetrate paint, carpet, upholstery, and textiles (clothing). While carpet can be deep cleaned and textiles can be taken to the dry cleaner's, properly restoring walls, structures, and objects is a different story. So here's a look at some helpful general cleaning techniques:
- Personal protective equipment: Most important thing to do first is always wear protective equipment. Gloves, a protective mask, long-sleeved shirts and pants should be worn on site to minimize contact with ash.
- Remove contents: Remove contents from the house. While some contents may have to be discarded, others can be effectively hand cleaned. Cleaning contents in an ultrasonic machine is also an option with some items.
- Ventilate: Open all windows and doors to remove odor.
- Beware of other contaminants: Lead and asbestos can turn a fire restoration job into an environmental restoration job if they've become disturbed.
- Hand scrubbing: Fire damage work is one of the most tedious types of repair work. It involves a lot of handwork, such as scrubbing walls and structures with sponges, and using chemicals, and specialized restoration equipment, such as media blasting tools, in the event of heavy residue.
- Duct cleaning: Following restoration, a duct cleaning is required. That's because smoke and soot have a tendency to become trapped within a home of business's duct system. This can spread contaminants and odors to other areas of the home when in operation. Hence, a professional duct cleaning is necessary.
Techniques for various materials
- Clothes and fabrics: A specialized dry cleaner is capable of restoring these items to the condition they were before any loss occurred. Cleaning soot contaminated clothing is somewhat of a science, and while a homeowner may be able to adequately restore clothing on his own, it's always best to leave this to the professionals.
- Carpet: A professional carpet cleaning is a MUST in order to effectively remove contaminants and odor from the carpet.
- Building Materials: Dry chemical sponges are your best bet for wallboard, plaster, wood, and wallpaper. These will remove much of the soot and also prevent it from being lodged deeper into the material.
- Other materials: Sponges, towels, and mops are ideal for cleaning tile, glass, metal, and certain appliances. Since these aforementioned objects are less porous than drywall, for example, its OK to use a wet or dampened sponge or cleaning tool. Plus, there's no risk of lodging contaminants deeper into the material.
- Specialty cleaning tools: Ultrasonic cleaning machines can come in handy as they can adequately clean non-porous items quickly and efficiently, compared to hand cleaning.
Fire damage situations can be very overwhelming, but remember that there is always a solution to every problem. Leave it to the professionals! SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island are highly experienced and are here to make things go "Like it never even happened."
Thermal Imaging For Water Damage Restoration
Visual representation a thermal image camera provides.
Over the years, SERVPRO Of East Brownsville & South Padre Island has been developing many tools that have help make our technician's job get done much more efficiently. One tool that we use in every job that involves water damage is the Thermal Imaging Camera A.K.A The IR Camera. Today we will be discussing more about this tool on how its used and the benefits it provides to restoration contractors.
Benefits An IR camera Brings.
Going into a job with this technology helps us build credibility with the customer. They aren't just depending on our word, they are being provided with visible evidence of what exactly the problem is and where it Is occurring.
Recent Innovations With Thermal Imaging/IR Technology.
The thermal Pro LT, brings infrared technology into our smartphone. It detects things using our mobile device that are not visible to the eye. In most cases, It may look fine to the naked eye, when in reality its NOT. Thermal imaging helps us find where the problem lies beneath the surface. For example, An area of the customers home had been affected by mold, We cant see if there is still any water accumulated in the area, so that's when the IR comes in handy. We take either a visual image or voice over video of the area, then a visual of the problem is sent right to our smartphone. We can now get to fixing the problem as soon as possible.
Choosing The Proper Drying Equipment for Commercial Restoration
Drying after water loss in commercial building.
Selecting the Proper Drying Equipment for Commercial Restoration
Imagine a disaster has just struck your business caused by a fire or flood from a terrible storm.After making sure everyone is safe, what are your concerns about your business? Can I stay open? Can I get supplies from my vendors? How long will it take to get the place back together? How are we going to pay for it all? at SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island, Our job is to help answer these questions and provide the best overall solution. What we need to do is combine these concerns and needs with equipment available on the market to produce the best result. The fundamentals of drying dictate that adding energy (heat) to a material while passing the driest available air over its porous surface will invoke evaporation of unwanted moisture from the material and thus the building itself We have special fans for getting your business dried quickly and also a pump to get all that water out.Here at SERVPRO of East Brownsville & South Padre Island,We provide a variety of drying equipment specifically used when water damage has taken place in your business our equipment gets the job done right and in a matter of hours to get you back in business on time! So whenever your business needs to get dried, Consider SERVPRO We got you covered!
12 Protection tips for Fire Damage Restoration
12 Tips to Protect Yourself during Fire Damage Restoration | 2018-11-27 | Restoration & Remediation Magazine
During a wildfire, innumerable toxic chemicals, poisonous gases, heavy metals, and other toxins are generated by the materials, household products, and vegetation that burns. These contaminants fill the air, become part of the ash, and are extremely dangerous to your health if inhaled or come in contact with your skin. As restoration contractors, we often forget about the dangers involved in the various environments we enter, but safety should always be a top priority.
If you're home or business has been affected by fire or smoke,Here are some helpful safety tips:
12 Tips to Protect Yourself during Fire Damage Restoration | 2018-11-27 | Restoration & Remediation Magazine
- Avoid breathing air contaminated by smoke odor and minimize your exposure to contaminated areas.
- If you need to enter a smoke damaged structure, wear proper personal protective equipment, including a proper fitting respirator with a P-100 HEPA filter designed to filter vapor or gasses (not a dust mask).
- Persons with heart or lung disease should consult their physician before using a mask during post-fire cleanup.
- Avoid handling or coming in direct skin contact with items or materials affected by smoke, soot, or ash. If you need to retrieve items damaged by smoke, wear proper personal protection equipment, such as coveralls, eye protection, gloves, proper foot wear, hardhat, etc.
- Avoid getting ash into the air as much as possible. Do not use leaf blowers or take other actions that will put ash into the air.
- Avoid using shop vacuums and other common vacuum cleaners. These do not filter out small particles, but blow them out the exhaust into the air where they can be inhaled.
- Do not allow children or pets to enter areas that have smoke odor, ash or soot. If children or pets get soot or ash on their skin or hair, wash immediately with mild soap and warm water.
- If you anticipate that you will need to be inside a building or area affected by smoke, attempt to ventilate the area by opening windows or doors unless doing so will allow outdoor smoke odor or ash to get in. Minimize your exposure as much as possible.
- Have an environmental testing laboratory test for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) and particulates to determine what types and concentrations of toxins may be present. Rarefied Air Environmental can also provide you with a comprehensive smoke odor remediation protocol.
- When sorting through contents, don't take chances. People should not eat or drink anything that has signs of heat or smoke damage. When in doubt, throw it out!
- If you experience any adverse health symptoms from exposure to smoke or soot, seek medical attention immediately.
- If you need to be in an enclosed space that has smoke odor, such as an office, home, or building, try to set up air scrubbers with HEPA filters or other type of filter designed to remove ultra-fine particulate matter as quickly as possible. In addition, using a hydroxyl generator can help to break down odor causing molecules
if your home or business has been damaged by fire,Call SERVPRO ASAP To repair damage!