Fire Safety at Work
Fires in general are always going to be unexpected. When we find ourselves away from homes, we may grow a sense of panic (which is important not to do!) Remember these steps when in the middle of a fire, for a peace of mind when facing such scenarios.
If you are the owner to your business you may want to remind your employees:
- Turn off electronic devices at the end of the day (this will help prevent any fires)
- Keep heat producing equipment (copiers, computers, coffee makers, microwaves,) away from anything that might burn.
- Report any faulty wiring or equipment’s malfunctions
- Smoke only in designated areas (if applicable)
- Call 911 in the event of a fire
- Close doors when exiting to help limit the spread of smoke and fire
- Never use the elevators during an evacuation
- Follow the escape plan. If you have not created one for your employees, take some time to do so. The escape plan should include a meeting spot and a roster, for a headcount.
- Post emergency telephone numbers as well as the company address by the phone in your station for quick access.
- Learn how to properly use a fire extinguisher.
Keep your employees safe, by passing these fire prevention tips today!